One person dies of Hantavirus in China

Man from Yunnan Province died of Hantavirus 

Hantavirus
Hantavirus

One person lost his life in China after getting infected with Hantavirus. He was travelling, probably, from Yunnan to Shandong province for work. The incident happened last Monday. There were about 32 people in the bus and all were subject to test.

According to Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, Hantaviruses are a family of viruses which are spread mainly by rodents and can cause variety of diseases in people.

There are two types of diseases that has been highlighted now. 
  • Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome
  • Haemorrhagic Fever with Renal Syndrome
Luckily Hantavirus diseases does not spread through air. It can infect people if only the come into contact with urine, faeces and saliva of rodents which is very rare in rest of the world. One can get the Hantavirus disease if bitten by an infected host.

Early symptoms of Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome include fatigue, fever, and muscle aches.

Delayed treatment will lead to severe cough and shortness of breath. The disease can be fatal. The mortality rate is whopping 38%

Early symptoms for Haemorrhagic Fever with Renal Syndrome is same as Pulmonary Syndrome along with high blood pressure, acute shock, vascular leakage and kidney failure.

Both the syndromes do not pass from person to person. Controlling rodent population is the only strategy for preventing hantavirus infection.

Comments